When asked, most Congressional staff say that constituent visits to the Washington office (97%) and to the district or state offices (94%) have “some” or “a lot” of influence on an undecided member of Congress, more than any other influence group or strategy. ("Communicating with Congress: Perceptions of Citizen Advocacy on Capitol Hill" from the Congressional Management Foundation)
In-person meetings with your members of Congress and their staff are the single most influential form of grassroots advocacy, especially if it is part of a long-term effort to cultivate a relationship with your elected officials. The great news is that you don’t have to travel to Washington to meet with your member face-to-face. Members of Congress spend several weeks a year in their home districts to be accessible to their constituents. Don’t pass up the next opportunity to meet with your representative and senators to advocate for peace!
If you are interested in organizing others to participate in a local meeting with your district or state federal representatives, or you would like to be kept informed so you may participate in such a meeting email info(at)cmep.org.
CMEP will work with you in sharing your concern for peace with justice for Palestinians, Israelis and all people affected by the conflict in the Holy Land.
In addition to face-to-face meetings hand-written letters, emails and other communications are also part of demonstrating your concern and commitment to peace for all people. Tool are listed in the upper right.
Here are tools you can use to work for peace in the Holy Land:
- Stay informed by getting CMEP’s Action Alerts and Bulletins. CMEP will keep you current on developments in Washington.
- Tell your elected officials what you want! It’s easy. Be on the lookout for messages in your email inbox with “Action Alert” in the subject line, and let your representatives know what you want done.
- Build community and stay educated! Come to CMEP’s annual Advocacy Conference. Meet people there like you who want to tell their members of Congress and their staff to work for peace. And then do it!
- Amplify your voice! Get others you know involved by forwarding this message to a friend: “I’m working with Churches for Middle East Peace to help bring an end to the conflict in the Holy Land. I hope you will add your email address to CMEP’s advocacy network by visiting their website www.cmep.org.”
If you have ideas or suggestions for additional information let CMEP know at info(at)cmep.org.
Recent Network Messages
- [CMEP Bulletin] Kerry Plan Details Emerge as Israeli Coalition Wobbles
- Will you support Christians and peace?
- [CMEP Bulletin] CMEP Round-Up for January 23, 2014
- [Take Action!] Support a complete halt to all Israeli settlement expansion!
- [CMEP Bulletin] Israeli Defense Minister Blasts Kerry's Peace Efforts